For many years New Canaan children have enjoyed fishing and chasing frogs at the pond, which was designed by the Olmsted Brothers firm in 1914. The pond down the hill on the east side of the main house was originally a working pond. During the early 20th century when the Laphams lived at Waveny, ice was made from the pond in the winter and stored in an ice house.
The pond was recently restored with the generous support of the Anderson Family Foundation and the Town of New Canaan. The pond edge and stone spillways have deteriorated and the pond has been dredged and relined with stonework. The first phase of dredging began this fall in partnership with the Town of New Canaan. In anticipation of the pond's restoration, the overgrown areas to the east and west of the house were cleared, thereby creating an open vista. The pond was fully restored with the addition of an observation dock in the spring of 2020.
View The Final Plan
View or download the PDF of this plan below: